Search this blog

Thursday 26 January 2012

Tangerine - citrus Cheesecake



Whenever you get a chance to read my posts, they would all be Lacto – vegetarian. I was raised being a lacto – vegetarian and thereby it has been inculcated in me, hence my recipes do not even include eggs.
It was Sunday morning and  I was craving something sweet. I looked IN my refrigerator and f.ound some Quark cheese and some mascarpone cheese; hence a no-bake cheesecake was in order.  I love both of them as Quark cheese is low fat and Mascarpone is so velvety. Since I am a a lacto-vegetarian,  I do not use gelatin in my cheesecake, I substitute it with ‘Vegetarian gelatin’ – as it is sold in the speciality shops (it is actually carrageenan).  Use exactly the same amounts as gelatin but no soaking is required. All you have to do is beat it along with some warm water


Recipe – This recipe makes 2 3 inch cheese cakes
INGREDIENTS
Crust
Digestive Biscuits / Graham Cracker – 8 (ground to a fine powder)
Melted Butter – 2 tbsp (30 g)
Filling Base
Mascarpone Cheese – ½ cup
Quark Cheese – ½ cup
Hung curd / yoghurt (hung overnight 1 cup curd = ¼ cup hung curd) – ¼ cup
Vegetarian Gelatin (Carrageenan) – 1 tsp dissolved in 1 tbsp warm water
Whipping cream – ¼ cup whipped
Powdered sugar – ½ cup
Flavouring - Orange Juice concentrate / Lemon juice
Jelly Layer
Orange / lemon orange jelly crystals - 1/2 pack

METHOD
Crust
Mix the powdered biscuits and the melted butter together. Spoon it in the dish you are going to present it in. I used mousse rings. Press the mixture till it is firm and compact. Freeze it for about 30 minutes.
Base Filling
In a bowl mix all the ingredients together. Use the sugar as per the sweetness desired by you. Add the Orange juice concentrate,Lemon juice and orange pieces to it and spoon over the crust and level with a spatula.
Jelly Layer
Make the jelly layer as per the pack instructions. and pour over the filling layer.
Refrigerate this for about 4 – 5 hous before de-moulding it. Carefully de-mould it and garnish as desired. I used tangerine slices and mint to garnish.

SMILESSSS :)

1 comment:

  1. One can also use Agar Agar in place of Gelatin its a vegetarian option .....

    ReplyDelete